Healthy Lunch Idea: Egg, Greens and Cheese Tortilla and a Fruit Salad
This quick and easy egg (or plant-based egg) and tortilla rollup is equally tasty warm out of the pan or sliced up and packed in a lunchbox. Dont hesitate to play around with the filling based on what you have in the fridge. More often than not, I grate up odds and ends from my cheese drawer and throw in a handful of greens that are a bit too wilted to eat raw but are perfectly good to eat warmed.Tip: This quick and easy recipe is best made the day of, but luckily it can be quickly thrown together between sips of coffee and bites of breakfast.
Egg, Greens & Cheese Tortilla
Makes: 2 servingsActive Time: 10 minutesTotal Time: 10 minutes
- 2 tsp butter
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten with a pinch of salt
- 2 large (8- to 10-inch) flour tortillas
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- cup shredded gruyre or any other hard cheese that melts nicely
- Make the tortillas one at a time. In a medium nonstick pan over medium heat, melt half of the butter. Add half of the beaten eggs and immediately top with a tortilla, pressing it down gently so that some of the egg flows up and over the top side of the tortilla.
- Cook for 1 minute and then top with half of the spinach and cheese. Cover the pan and cook for 2 more minutes, until the greens have wilted and the cheese has melted.
- Next, either fold the eggy tortilla up in the pan, the way you would an omelet, and pack for lunch as is, or slide it out onto the cutting board and allow it to cool for a few minutes. Repeat the process for the second tortilla. Once cool, roll up the tortillas, and slice into pieces as needed to fit in your lunchbox.
Packing Tip: Pack the tortilla with your favorite condimentlike salsa, hot sauce, or ketchupand add a side of roasted potatoes and some sweet berries to create that authentic brunch-for-lunch feeling.Great for Kids: Slice the rolled tortilla into rounds and secure with some fun food picks to make this wholesome lunch a kid-friendly finger food.Excerpted from Lunchbox by Aviva Wittenberg. Copyright 2022 Aviva Wittenberg. Photography 2022 Aviva Wittenberg. Published by Appetite by Random House, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.Next: 9 Healthy Sandwich Recipes to Pep Up Lunchtime
The post Healthy Lunch Idea: Egg, Greens and Cheese Tortilla and a Fruit Salad appeared first on Best Health.